Thursday, April 16, 2009

An interview with Jennyvi Dizon, designer and producer of Arizona Bridal Week!

THIS WEEK- Jennyvi Dizon, designer and producer of Arizona Bridal Week, was interviewed by the MakeUp University’s Cherelynn Baker. Baker will be a vendor in the first ever Arizona Bridal Week and sheds light on the inspiration behind the exciting event, Jennvi Dizon herself!

1. Why do you do what you do in terms of sewing and fashion?

It’s my life, ever since I could hold a pencil, I remember sketching clothing and then sewing clothes at age 5 for my Barbies. It’s in my blood to sew, one of my father’s jobs in the Philippines was a tailor and I think it just naturally carried on to me.I enjoy sewing whether it’s leisurely or for clients, I am good at it and it gives me great satisfaction when a garment I designed and sewed comes to life when it is created.

2. How to you start a piece or collection? Tell me about the process from start to finish of a piece of clothing or gown?

When I tried out for a couple reality shows they asked me the same thing, as much as I want each piece to be thought out. It just pops in my head sometimes, but after that I suppose when I do start on one piece I can see a similar theme from every piece in the line. A cohesive theme that glues the whole collection together from start to finish.

3. Where does your inspiration come from?

My inspiration comes from history, I love designing adaptations of historic fashions and making my own designs based on a historic theme. It could be as simple as taking inspiration from a style of fringe or vintage furniture and creating something from what I see in the history books

4. Do you use the trend forecast book?

I don’t, I usually do my own research and usually design from what I like. For example, a bride of mine was wanting a polka dotted wedding gown and couldn’t find anything, so doing research of my own for fabric, I got inspired and decided to do a whole polka dotted line. Just because of my client and searching for polka dotted fabric. And now I’ve seen polka dotted gowns and clothing everywhere

5. Where do you get your fabric?

I have a bunch of sources, but my favorites for organic fabric is Dharma Trading Company, Fabric and Art Supply, for my silks I love Thai Silks, House of Fabrics, New York Fabric Center

6.What do you listen to when you sew?

When I sew I like to listen to music I can sing to, I love local music and one of my favorite singers is Courtney Marie Andrews, but I listen to a lot of Indie Music, the Decemberists, Sera Cahoone, Grand Archives, The Bird and the Bee, the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, Trans Am (I have a whole list, let me know if you want me to go on)

7.Where did you learn to sew?

I learned to sew from my dad when I was 5 and starting sewing machine sewing when I was 9 or 10. I also enhanced my couture skills when I went to Phoenix College : )

8. If someone wants to buy one of your creations where can they get it?

They can get it at Lillian Lottie Couture or directly from me at the moment, but soon I am going to be a national designer and hopefully I will be carried across the nation in bridal boutiques in every state : )

9. What’s next for you?

I am producing the fashion shows for the first ever Arizona Bridal Week and I am gearing up for my national campaign

10. Who is your favorite model/designer/photographer?

My favorite designers are Roberto Cavalli and Oscar de la Renta

11. Who do you want to work with most and why?

I would love to work with Oscar de la Renta, when I was in school I did a report on his company and found out his company has survived 4 recessions and I would love to work with a man who can do that in fashion.

12. Any regrets?

Not at all, I love what I do. I was born with this talent and I am going to die by it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment